Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's all in the eyes..

So it's the the first of the year and time for the MAN and I to
see about our eyes! The MAN made us appointments at
the Berekley Eye Center @Shadowcreek.
You can't tell, but this is 9am in the morning.

I saw Dr. Barker, a small, petite brunette who was most likely-younger than me. She
was very pleasant and informative. She worked quickly and
didn't keep me guessing or waiting! I told her that my eyes stay pretty sore, even
when I wear my glasses all day and rest my eyes during the day.
She put drops in my eyes to numb them
before she checked the pressure of my eyeballs..FYI-numb eyeballs are
really fun!!! The drops were kind of yellowish like batadine and
made me look like I was crying yellow tears!
Ain't this weird?
Next, it was time to dilate my eyes.
I hate this part.
I found out why I hate this part. It's because light colored eyes don't need
more than a drop of medication to keep them
dilated. Last time, I got 2. I couldn't see for hours and hours.
This is my eye normally.
This is 4 hrs after being dilated.
You know what? You can't read a menu at a Thai resturant
if your eyes look like this. I'm sure everyone who saw me
squinting to focus thought I was all hopped up on speed or something.  Even better-
The MAN had just done the same thing & he was driving!
This was the weather that day. YIKES!
Dr. Barker gave me some pretty wild news before we left.
My eyes needed a prescription 3x's stronger than the glasses I had worn over the last year.
SAAAAAAAAAAAY WHAAAAAT?
At this point, a switch flipped and Dr. Barker's voice
became background noise to my inner voice.
That conversation went a lil somethin like this......
How could this be? I began to panic a tiny bit at this point. I stared intently in Dr. Barker's general
direction because at this point, all I could see was her shape. My eyes strained to see her face, trying
to read her expression because if my eyes were needing that much correction
in just a year's time, I thought, certainly I'd be blind by the time I was 39.
Blind AND 39? What in the world? That means I wouldn't see my kids graduate.
Or get married. Or *gasp & gulp* see my grandbabies!
Oh nu-uh! I'm gonna see
MY grandbabies! If I have to keep my eyes closed (so I don't use up all my sight at once) I'm gonna see my grandbabies! I'M GONNA SEE MY GRANDBABIES, YOU HEAR?!!

*SNAP*
It finally occurs to me to ask Dr. Barker about the signifigant difference in my old and new prescription.
She then assures me that my eyes did not change that much in one year and it's most likely
that my peepers have been this bad off since I was a teen or younger!
OH THANK YOU JESUS!
Only thing is, because my eyes have been working so hard to focus
for so long, putting me in the prescription I actually need won't do any good.
I won't be able to see out of them because my eye muscles won't relax enough.
Hmm.
They won't relax cause they're overworking + they're always achey = they're super strong, right?
I have Mr. Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger-strong eyes!


I just can't see.
Aaaand it'll take another 2 years to get to the prescription I need.

Don't I look CUUUUUTE in my granny shades??
(inside my old glasses)
I hope you all are taking care of your eyes and I would
HIGHLY recommend The Berkeley Eye Center & Dr. Barker!
I gotta rest my peepers now-they're still aching!
Peace, Love & Visine!!

3 comments:

  1. you sure can write! i was wundering how arnold figured in the picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooo awesoem, glad you were able to get that done. Brian got his done uhh maybe 3 years ago loves it. Hope ya'll are doing well!

    ReplyDelete