Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The End Is Near!


My ribbon will be coming down soon.



Every day is a battle for focus and peace. I know enough to know that without those two elements, I'll never make it through anything I face off with. I can feel the crazy..it lurks around every corner. The pressure of his homecoming is overwhelming. The end of a deployment is the forced end and forced beginning of so many things. Things will have to go back to normal..but it's a new normal. It will never be the normal from before he left. It won't be his normal and it won't be my normal..the normal of the last year. It's some new mash-up that we're both being thrown into head-first and even though this is not the first time, it leaves my stomach in a knot. The honeymoon period will last just about two weeks and then reality will set in and we'll have to really dig in, work it out and make it happen. The new wears off, things start getting real and the fun tends to evaporate.

Until then, I'm fighting the anxiety. The bills need to be paid, house needs to be cleaned, clothes need to be washed and put away, I need to buy groceries, school clothes, shoes and supplies, the girls are in full fight mode and I'd love to take a shower. There seems to be no time to do any of this. Normally, (my normal) this wouldn't be an issue..but there's just no time to do a little at at time anymore. I know that I can handle this, it just doesn't feel that way right now. I know, I should be thankful that I have a house to clean, money to buy groceries, children who play hard and love hard and HOT running water for a shower any time I want. I'm just very overwhelmed at the moment.

Change is really hard for me. I've learned to handle it with as much grace as possible, but right now, grace is the name of a mad bull who is standing in a china shop-just waiting for someone to flash some red. I hate feeling like life is shoving me around.

I realize that this is not what you expect to hear from a military wife. I realize that I'm not supposed to be saying alot of this. I realize alot of people will think I'm crazy and possibly even ungrateful. How could I be anything but completely beside myself with happiness? All I can say to that is, if you know me-even a little bit, I'm straightforward and I like to keep it real. This is how it really is. Homecomings aren't always easy. So much has to change and bend. I just have to remember that it's only as easy as I make it. Can I get an AMEN?

I'm thankful for my flexibility.
I'm thankful for my support system of family and friends.
I'm thankful our guys are safe and coming home.
I'm thankful we've made it through another year of trials.
I'm thankful
I'm thankful
I'm thankful.
Dangit.
I'm thankful.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful that you are my best friend and I am so thankful our boys are coming home! Yes you can get an AMEN! I understand what you are saying about how you "think" you should feel, and I know you are greatful and beside yourself with excitement, but I also understand the fears and anxieties that come along with a life changing moment. You two are an inspiration and those of us who know you and get to be a part of your life are truly blessed!! btw love the comment about HOT water lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I admire you for saying what you really feel and I have a big respect for all the military families and wifes. I am sure it is not easy.

    ReplyDelete